The House of Mirth
by Edith Wharton
Book Two: chapter VIII -X
"'Back to Gerty in the first place, if you will; the essential thing is that it should be away from here.'" When I read this conversation between Lily and Selden I didn't understand the reason for Selden's insistence and neither did Lily. Lily found a position that required her social talents where she could live in luxury. Lily now has a soft bed and doesn't have to worry about where her next meal is coming from. Sure it isn't really high society but she is comfortable and Mrs. Hatch is kind. Why then is Selden insisting Lily stay away from Mrs. Hatch and her circle? It seemed harmless to me. Lily is slightly uncomfortable in her surroundings but it is better than the poverty she would have been faced with if she had stayed with Gerty.
Although I don't really understand his reason, I think Selden's demand foreshadows a problem with Lily's current situation. Lily wants only the luxury and elegance she was used to before; therefore, she didn't really look into Mrs. Hatch or her situation before she agreed to take the job. This plus her refusal to allow Selden to tell her his reasoning convey a sense that she wants to keep her current situation whether or not their is something bad that she doesn't know about.
No comments:
Post a Comment