Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
14: chapter 9

I thought it was interesting and sad that after his death only Nick and his father would be there to make the arrangements for his funeral. "I found myself on Gatsby's side, and alone."(Fitzgerald 164) After all of his parties, none of the people who visited his house every saturday could be bothered to pay their respects. Even his "friend," Mr. Wolfsheim wouldn't come to the funeral because he never got mixed up with dead people. It's sad that even though he knew a lot of people, Gatsby had few friends in the end.

I think that in his planning to get back together with Daisy he never really took the time to get to know other people. Most of his relationships never progressed past the stage of acquaintance. I think he only bothered making friends with Nick because he knew Daisy and could set them up.  Since he believed he would live happily ever after with Daisy, Gatsby put off making friends until they were married. In addition, he made enemies out of most of the people he did get to know. Therefore the only people left were his father, Nick, and the guy that stayed in his house.

No comments:

Post a Comment