The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
11: chapter 7
Throughout the book, Fitzgerald has thrown in interesting descriptions to help the reader to get a better view of the characters. After reading these descriptions I often have to really think about what he means. For example, earlier in the book he compared a woman to an orchid. This could mean that she is exotic or showy but the reader really has to think about what an orchid is like to understand the comparison.
In chapter seven, Gatsby observes that Daisy's voice "'is full of money.'"(Fitzgerald 120) When I first read this I thought it was bizarre. How could someone's voice be full of money? I thought maybe it was the sound of change clinking together but that would be really strange in someone's voice. Then Nick thinks over Gatsby's meaning and further expands on what his odd statement means. "It was full of money---that was inexhaustible charm that rose and fell in it, the jingle of it, the cymbals' song of it....High in a white palace the kings daughter, the golden girl."(Fitzgerald 120) I took this to mean that Daisy has a tone in her voice that privileged girls have: not in a bad, snooty way but just an different "charm" that set her apart from other people. From this description the reader can add another characteristic to Daisy and might be able to understand her better.
No comments:
Post a Comment