Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
2: chapter 1

In this chapter, I really got a sense of what the twenties were about. Fitzgerald managed to create a window into his world through the narrator's exchanges with the Tom and Daisy Buchanan. I got a glimpse of the ideals and behavior of a young, rich person in the twenties. For instance, some of dialogue between Nick and the Buchanan's was bizarre and nonsensical. They are speaking like they don't have any clue what is going on, which suggests that they are drunk. I thought it was funny when Daisy said that Tom was profound because he read "deep books with long words in them." (Fitzgerald 13) It seems to me that only a drunk person or a really stupid person would say that, and Daisy doesn't seem to be stupid.
Then Nick finds out that Tom is cheating on Daisy and that everyone, including Daisy, knew about it. "'You mean to say you don't know?' said Miss Baker, honestly surprised. 'I thought everybody knew.'" (Fitzgerald 15) Even though everyone supposedly knew about Tom's affair, no one said anything to him and Daisy pretends like everything is fine. That wouldn't happen today.

No comments:

Post a Comment