The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
12: chapter 7
As we all know, Tom was cheating on Daisy with Myrtle Wilson. However, when he found out that Daisy was cheating on him with Gatsby he flipped out. "'Self-control!' repeated Tom incredulously. 'I suppose the latest thing is to sit back and let Mr. Nobody from Nowhere make love to your wife.'"(Fitzgerald 130) Hypocritical can now be added to Tom's list of characteristics. I thought it was funny that it was alright for him to have a mistress but when Daisy has an affair he has every right to yell at her. It just shows the double standards of the time period. Daisy didn't even say anything about Tom's "woman in New York." She just pretended like everything was alright. I guess Tom was probably just upset that he wasn't the center of his wife's world. He probably thought that he could get away with cheating on his wife without her doing the same to him. This whole scene made me angry after the initial irony wore off.
No comments:
Post a Comment