Thursday, November 15, 2012

Frankenstein
Mary Shelley

Once the creature was introduced as an intelligent being the overwhelming emotions I felt were sympathy and pity. While he told his story, I found myself pitying him as he was spurned by everyone he came across including his creator. These feelings force the reader to be more understanding of his actions with regards to William. "I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend" (69). This quote  shows the anguish the creature feels because he has never known love. He has never had anyone feel anything for him besides disgust. That would make anyone do something bad like murder (although maybe not that extreme of an action). This also makes the reader resent Frankenstein. It is doubly his fault for the death of his brother. He created the creature in the first place; however, he also abandoned him and failed to teach him right from wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment